Subject: Urushi

Urushi

From: Christopher Maines <c-maines>
Date: Tuesday, May 26, 1998
I have some excellent urushi that was purchased for me in 1993 from
a shop in Tokyo called Watanabe. I have some kuro-urushi (black
urushi), suki-urushi (clear finishing urushi), and kijomi (top
quality ki-urushi, which is raw urushi). I'm sure it's possible to
purchase other varieties/preparations from the shop as well. The
urushi is Japanese from Iwata prefecture.

The shop address is:

    Watanabe
    6-5-8 Ueno
    Taito-ku
    Tokyo
    Japan
    +81 3 3831 3706

I have also purchased Chinese urushi from another shop in Tokyo
called Sunimoto, but not speaking Japanese, I was not able to quiz
the proprietor about its origins, etc. It is a nuritate urushi
(urushi mixed with drying oil, usually tung).

This shop address is:

    Sunimoto
    3-18-4 Uchikanda
    Chu-o-ku
    Tokyo
    Japan
    +81 3 3252 8031

Christopher Maines, Conservation Scientist
Scientific Research Department
National Gallery of Art
6th St and Constitution Ave, NW
Washington, DC  20565