Subject: Urushi

Urushi

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Saturday, May 23, 1998
Ruth Buhner <buehner [at] vnet__de> writes

>Urushi is a highly viscous natural latex which comes from the sap of
>the lacquer tree Rhus vernicifera (Rhus toxidendron--poison ivy) and
>is the basic material of asian laquerworks.

I am not aware of any suppliers of urushi sap, but the proper
botanical name is Rhus vernicifula, not vernicifera.  These and
other details of the materials and methods of manufacture are
published in Urushi: the Technology of Japanese Lacquer, Caber
Press, 1995.  The original text was published in 1896 and it remains
the most complete explanation of this technology that I know of.

I am the editor/publisher of this text, so I have a vested interest
in my opinion.  The booklet is available for $8.95 + $1.50 P&H in
North America; $3.00 P&H elsewhere in the world.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217