Subject: Cellulose acetate samples sought

Cellulose acetate samples sought

From: Jane Ballany <bap96208>
Date: Wednesday, May 20, 1998
    author.

I am currently in the second year of a Ph.D. at Strathclyde
University investigating the degradation of cellulose acetate
artefacts.  The project is a joint venture with the National Museums
of Scotland.  I have been lucky enough to secure a field trip to the
USA as part of my Ph.D. studies, during this trip I would like to
sample as many CA artefacts as possible.  This would allow my study
to be extended and give a broader picture, and hopefully give
information on the prediction of stability etc. of these artefacts.

Sampling would involve separate swabbings of the artefact surface
with (i) dichloromethane for plasticiser identification by
micro-FTIR and (ii) water for anion analysis by IC.  In addition
where possible, and with permission, a small piece of sample (1cm X
1cm maximum) would have to be removed for TGA-IR and GPC.

Please contact me asap if you can help or require any further
information. Thanks,

Jane Ballany
Dept. of Pure and Applied Chemistry
University of Strathclyde