Subject: House museums

House museums

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh>
Date: Wednesday, May 20, 1998
Re: renovation of a house museum in South Africa.  Several members
of APT and AIC have been working together for several years on this
general problem, that is, the assumed competing interests of
collections care, building preservation, visitors, interpretation,
and others, in historic buildings that house collections.  A series
of symposia has been held, and another one is in the works for the
fall. One of the results is the New Orleans Charter
<URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/ethics/neworlea.html>, a
document which defines a process of decision-making that is based on
a team of professionals in a variety of specialties.  There have
also been articles in the APT Bulletin (e.g. Himmelstein, Appelbaum,
"The process of compromise: a team approach to conservation
environments." APT Bulletin XXVII, 3 (1996), 8-11.) on the subject.
If you need help getting these documents, or if I can be of help in
more direct ways, please feel free to contact me on-line.

                   Distributed: Friday, May 22, 1998