Subject: Communication of conservation information

Communication of conservation information

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Friday, May 15, 1998
This is a reply to Jeanne Eichelberger on the issue of people who
are pressed into service in their institutions to do preservation
and conservation work. I agree that people who work in institutions
that do not have conservation staff should be able to ask questions
on an emergency basis, but it is the responsibility of the
management to find the funds to pay for proper conservation service.
The origin and development (at considerable public cost) of the
conservation programs was intended to deal with this problem.  We
have a number of people in conservation programs today (many waiting
and preparing to get in and many who have graduated) who are
receiving training to go out and apply techniques they have learned
over 3 or 4 years in the field.

Unfortunately, many have a hard time finding jobs, real jobs,
because the management--in my experience--of many of our
institutions feels that they can avoid raising money for
conservation.  And this is not only a trend in our country. In the
June issue of Museum J. the English situation is spelled out in like
manner.  Some of these students must ask, if there is no commitment
to provide the best in conservation treatment by the institutions
who should be setting the standard--not the AIC which is rather
poorly postured to do so as the AIC has no power over these
institutions--then why should they spend their time and money in
learning a very professional skill?

Lisa is right and so is Jeanne, but in between we must find a way to
ensure that the heritage of the country is properly cared for.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                   Distributed: Friday, May 15, 1998