Subject: Communication of conservation information Professionalism and certification

Communication of conservation information Professionalism and certification

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Friday, May 15, 1998
Jerry Podany <jpodany [at] getty__edu> writes

>As I was reading Jack Thompson's recent effort... I had to wonder what
>he meant by "AIC is renewing a drive for professionalism, which
>always occurs at the expense of the profession.  One need only study
>history to learn that lesson."  This is a very significant statement
>which carries a lot of hidden insinuations.  I think we could all
>benefit from him being a bit more specific. (snip)

Contrary to Jerry Podany's assertion that my statement contained
"hidden insinuations", I believe that the insinuation was clear;
much was not expressed, but nothing was hidden.

In the March, 1998, issue of AIC News, pp. 12-14, Mary Todd Glaser's
article, "Revisiting Certification: AIC and the World beyond
Conservation" recaps the history of this issue.  On page 14 she
states that only 18% of the AIC membership responding to a 1984
questionnaire felt that they would apply to be certified; she goes
on to say that in 1986 the AIC board of directors decided to disband
the Committee on Accreditation and Certification.

She does not mention the petition circulated at the 1984 AIC
conference by Keiko Keyes and others, signed by 154 members
(including myself) which stated:

   "We the undersigned urge that AIC adopt the following policy:
    AIC shall not for any purpose disclose to any person or
    organization the status of an AIC member as a certified
    conservator in paper conservation until AIC has adopted a final
    plan with respect to certification."

During this period (early '80's) both US and Canadian conservation
organizations were examining the certification issue.

The Canadian conservators were doing a better job of examining the
issues, and they have recently come out with another discussion
paper: "An Examination of the Current Situation Concerning
Accreditation in Canada with Recommendations for Future Action." May
2, 1997.

Doris Badir's article, "Professionalism and Socialization
Characteristics", published in the IIC-CG Newsletter, vol. 9, No. 1,
Sept., 1983 makes for very interesting reading, as does Agnes
Ballestrem's submission to the November, 1978, Standards and
Training Committee meeting of the International Centre for the Study
of the Preservation and the Restoration of Cultural Property: "The
Restorer: A Definition of the Profession".

There is another very interesting document:

The Advisory Opinion of the Federal Trade Commission to the American
National Standards Institute, Inc. which may be found at: CCH Trade
Regulations Rep. 1718.20.  Sixteen points are covered in this
document. Point number one states: "Standardization and
certification programs must not be used as devices for fixing prices
or otherwise lessening competition." Point number sixteen states:
"Certification programs should avoid the use of single standard,
'pass/fail' systems, and, in lieu thereof, employ graded systems
which preserve consumer and user options".  The other 14 points are
also interesting to read.

There are some things which I cannot write in this forum because
they are protected by US copyright law.  Letters from Elizabeth
West-Fitzhugh (as Chair of the AIC board of directors) and Barbara
Appelbaum (as Chair of the Committee on Accreditation and
Certification) responding to letters from me are protected; but I
can and will quote from some of my correspondence with them from the
period when this was last a large issue within AIC (my file from
this period is about an inch thick, so bear with me if I don't go on
at great length about this chaotic matter).