Subject: Call for papers--fakes and forgeries

Call for papers--fakes and forgeries

From: Lynn Proden <15603>
Date: Saturday, May 9, 1998
Call For Papers
"Deceit, Deception & Discovery:
Fakes in the Museum and the Marketplace"

Two years ago the Decorative Arts Society and Winterthur Museum,
Garden and Library collaborated on a one-day symposium--"New
Visions, New Quests" that highlighted groundbreaking scholarship in
the decorative arts of the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries.  On
December 5, 1998, the two institutions will again sponsor a
decorative arts conference at Winterthur.  This year's topic focuses
on fakes and forgeries within the art and antiques world.

Long a favorite of collectors and museum-goers, the subject has its
own rich bibliography replete with such wonderfully descriptive
titles as "Fabulous but Fake" and "Assume Nothing."  We seek new
discoveries in this important field from curators, conservators, and
craftsmen; academics, educators, and students; antiques dealers,
auctioneers, appraisers, and collectors--in short, anyone involved
in the study of decorative or fine arts.  Our scope includes
materials make in America or Europe and dating between 1640 to the
present.

We encourage proposals that reveal the reasons behind a particular
deception as well as the skill of the deception itself. In addition,
we urge individuals to share the excitement of discovery sparked by
the study of a fake as well as the revelations gleaned by authentic
objects through that study.

Please submit a one-page abstract of your paper to

    Brock Jobe
    Department of collections, conservation, and Interpretation
    Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library
    Winterthur, Delaware 19735
    Fax: 302-888-4700)

In addition, attach to the proposal your summer address, telephone
number, fax number, and e-mail address. Stipends will be awarded to
everyone presenting papers at the conference. The deadline for
proposals is July 1, 1998.

Lynn Proden
Program Assistant
Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library