Subject: Book supports

Book supports

From: Pamela Barrios <pam_barrios>
Date: Thursday, May 7, 1998
Priscilla Thomas <priscilla.thomas [at] mvs__udel__edu> writes

>   What has been the experience of anyone who has produced and used
>   the "polyester film book supports" designed by Susan B. Martin,
>   book conservator at the New York Academy of Medicine.

I have used Susan Martin's book supports in several exhibits at
Brigham Young University. The question of support lies in the
composite structure and its relationship to the particular book. I
always use 4 or 5 mil mylar. I make the support slightly smaller
than the book in height and width. A large (9 x 12) book can be
supported with mylar supports. If the volume is thick, the weight of
the spine will sometimes pull in the "sides" of the support (very
slightly) so that they angle in a bit toward the center. This will
increase the stability of the support.

The supports are easy and quick to make, and the instructions are
clear. The best way to answer your own question is to make a few.
Good Luck,

Pamela Barrios
Book Conservator
Brigham Young University