Conservation DistList Archives [Date] [Subject] [Author] [SEARCH]

Subject: Paper coated with red lead

Paper coated with red lead

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1>
Date: Thursday, May 7, 1998
Peng Peng Wang inquires about the danger of "red lead" (as well as
providing an exceptional commentary concerning pest control
practices through the ages!).

Lead oxide red has gone by many names historically, including Paris
Red, Mineral Red, and Plumboplumbic oxide. It is a poison by
intraperitoneal route and moderately toxic by ingestion. The OSHA
PEL (permissible exposure limit) is a time weighted average of 0.05
mg/cubic meter, although the ACGIH TLV (threshold limit value) is a
time weighted average of 0.15 mg/cubic meter. Lead oxide red is also
a oxidizing agent that is incompatible with a number of other
chemicals (although I can't really imagine how most of these other
chemicals would come to be present in a library setting).

Good practice might be to minimally wear nitrile gloves while
handling books with red lead, although I would also use care in
handling to prevent any material from becoming airborne. If there is
a potential for airborne concentrations, a respirator (although a
toxic dust respirator might be adequate, I suspect that a P100
particulate respirator would be preferred). Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Chicora Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 8664
Columbia, SC  29202-8664

                  Conservation DistList Instance 11:92
                  Distributed: Thursday, May 14, 1998
                       Message Id: cdl-11-92-007
Received on Thursday, 7 May, 1998

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://