Subject: Deciphering obliterated text

Deciphering obliterated text

From: Helena Jaeschke <mrshjaeschke>
Date: Thursday, May 7, 1998
Grace Katterman <Grace_Katterman [at] nps__gov> writes

>...  The surface of the paper tags which identified a
>collection of artifacts in Peru has been obliterated by hungry
>silverfish.  The surfaces are eaten to varying degrees, but I am
>hoping there is some way to still be able to read the identification
>numbers.

There is a technique recently developed in forensic science for
reading the minute indentations left by writing which might help. It
uses a very fine graphite and electrostatic charging and has worked
well showing how documents have been altered. Local law enforcement
or criminal legal offices may know whether this technique is
available in your area.

If this technique is available, I would strongly urge that no
further handling of the labels takes place (and certainly no
rubbing) until the treatment is applied.

Helena Jaeschke
Archaeological Conservator

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 14, 1998