Subject: Communication of conservation information

Communication of conservation information

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Saturday, May 2, 1998
Lisa Mibach <mibach [at] aol__com> writes

>getting enough articles, and we have ever more newsletters (which
>must be fulfilling some kind of need), and yet still fundamental
>information is not being transferred. Are there some types of
>information or ways of expressing it that conservators need that are
>not being met by JAIC? Is it just that we don't want to bother with
>the lengthy publication process? Or does the kind of information
>useful to conservators differ in some way from that useful to
>conservation scientists?  Some of the time? All of the time?

I couldn't agree with you more here.  I can't tell you how many
times a client has brought me an object or painting which was
treated by a restorer who did not present a report.  Each time it is
a "from scratch "operation. But there are a tremendous number of
people out there practicing who are not AIC members, do not know the
AIC exists and can, in many cases, care less. Many are artists using
Meyers as a guide, others are using booklets from kits now on the
market (become a restorer in your spare time).  Others are
volunteers in non-profit historical societies or galleries who are
filling a need and in most cases in great need of direction.

I too am frustrated by the lack of citation in net discussions and
in print--a Book and Paper Annual article was published a few years
ago summarizing backing removal techniques without one citation!
Talk about re-inventing the wheel.  Still, I am more interested in
encouraging people to talk about what they are doing (and publishing
treatments) than trying to control what gets into print.  If people
take the time to write something up I feel it is a great
contribution give how little time people have today.  I do think we
need critical reviews of practice to be a regular feature in the
JAIC, but also I think that we need a more accessible publication
for the great mass of people who are practicing but not AIC members.
If the Cons DistList is it then we must try and be resources for the
literature which is not available.

Niccolo Caldararo
Conservation Art Service

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 5, 1998