Subject: Deciphering obliterated text

Deciphering obliterated text

From: Grace Katterman <Grace_Katterman>
Date: Friday, May 1, 1998
I have perhaps an usual paper situation that I hope has a magical
solution.  The surface of the paper tags which identified a
collection of artifacts in Peru has been obliterated by hungry
silverfish.  The surfaces are eaten to varying degrees, but I am
hoping there is some way to still be able to read the identification
numbers. Perhaps there is a liquid solution or powder which will
respond to the depressions left by the pencil when the tags were
written, etc.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Grace Katterman, Textile Conservator
Western Archaeological and Conservation Center
Tucson,  Arizona

                    Distributed: Friday, May 1, 1998