Subject: Human hair

Human hair

From: Joice Himawan <jhimawan>
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 1998
Laura Katz Smith wrote:

>Can anyone recommend the best way to store human hair, preferably in
>a clear enclosure?  Can it be placed in a standard polypropylene
>envelope, like for photographs, or does it need something else?

We have quite a few locks of hair in our collection--probably enough
to stuff a sofa. :)  We store ours in small photo frames (the ones
about 2"x3", for wallet-sized photos).  The hair is sandwiched
between the glass and a backing of acid-free mat board wrapped in
unbleached muslin.  Another piece of mat board is placed behind the
one wrapped in muslin as the outermost barrier board.  The edges are
sealed with hot melt.  The original backing that came with the photo
frame, which is usually acidic board, is thrown out.  We've been
very satisfied with results of this storage method.

Joice Himawan
Conservator
Massachusetts Historical Society

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 28, 1998