Subject: Beta-radiography and watermarks

Beta-radiography and watermarks

From: Craigen Bowen <bowen>
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 1998
I am writing in response to Margaret Morris's question about the
rental of beta plates. United States licensing regulations prevent
such a loan according to the paperwork I have on the one here at the
Straus Center.  I don't know whether it would be acceptable to hire
the licensed person to do the beta-radiography, but I imagine
crossing the border with a radioactive source would not be easy.

Craigen W. Bowen
Philip and Lynn Straus Conservator of Works of Art
on Paper/Deputy Director of Conservation
Straus Center for Conservation
Harvard University Art Museums
32 Quincy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138