Subject: Glass colored prints

Glass colored prints

From: Julie L. Sloan <jsloan>
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 1998
I have seen what look like celluloid print sandwiched between sheets
of clear glass to imitate stained glass.  There was also some work
done in the mid- to late-19th century using photographic processes
on glass for the painted pieces.  Tiffany seemed to use it
occasionally, and a French artist, Marechal de Metz, used it as
well. There were a number of "faux" stained glass processes that
were tried.  One was called "diaphanie" and I believe it was a print
glued to glass, but as I recall, none of the information I've seen
about the process discusses the adhesive they used.  My guess would
be animal hide glue.  If you need the references, let me know.

Julie L. Sloan
Vice-president, Cummings Studio
PO Box 427, North Adams, MA 01247
413-664-6578