Subject: Glass colored prints

Glass colored prints

From: David A. Tremain <david_tremain>
Date: Tuesday, April 28, 1998
I worked on a couple of glass prints dating from 1745 back in 1987,
and presented a paper on it at  "Symposium 88: Conservation of
Historic and Artistic Works on Paper".   A full description of the
technique, pigment analysis, and treatment, including adhesive used
to repair them (Hxtal NYL-1) are included in the proceedings of the
conference (Ottawa, 1994, pp. 143-152), which are available from CCI
for Cdn$45.00 (stocks are limited). My rationale for using that
particular adhesive, after studying Jane Down's reports on adhesive
testing at CCI, and Norman Tennent and Joyce Townsend's IIC paper on
"The Significance of Refractive Index of Adhesives for Glass Repair"
was based on the fact that Hxtal NYL-1 and the two glass prints had
an almost identical refractive index. There are no actual
adhesives used in the making of a glass print, only Strasburg [sic]
Turpentine and White Transparent Varnish.

I might add that very few papers  appear to have been published on
the repair of glass prints (as you have no doubt discovered) except
for Karen Wallace (now Graham) (Student papers, U of Delaware, 1976,
pp.13-27), Sydney Williston & Kory Berrett (JAIC, 18:1, 1978,
pp.46-48) Jonathan Thornton (JAIC,20:?, 1981, pp.28-35) and a recent
paper in "Studies in Conservation" by Niccolo Caldararo (vol.42,
No.3, 1997, pp.157-164).  An article on some historical aspects on
the technique were published by Ann Massing in "Print Quarterly"
(Vol.VI, No.4, December 1989, pp.383-293).

David Tremain
CCI

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 28, 1998