Subject: Wax model

Wax model

From: Carola Haeggstroem <carola.haggstrom>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 1998
I am a student at the Institute of Conservation at the University of
Gothenburg, Sweden. I am writing my final exams about the
conservation of a wax model. It is the master model for a medal and
it is made of wax (probably beeswax) which is attached to shale.
Parts of the wax model have disintegrated, probably due to
mechanical strain, and do not adhere to the shale any longer.

Has anyone the experience of conserving this type of material? If
so, how was the outcome of it? Is there an adhesive for adhering wax
to shale and maybe wax to wax (If not the same)? Is there any
literature on the subject? I would be very grateful if anyone could
offer me some advice on this matter.

Carola

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 22, 1998