Subject: Training materials

Training materials

From: Julie Page <julie_page>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 1998
Marty Hartford <mjh [at] lib__ksu__edu> writes:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on an up-to-date training video that would
>be appropriate to use in training student workers at a university library?

I can suggest two possibilities.  Check the UC San Diego
Preservation web site for the video we made from the LC slide/tape
"Handling Books in General Collections"
<URL:http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/preservation/pvideo.html> It can be
ordered from the Preservation Dept for $15.00 (including shipping)

The video can be used very effectively in a class setting, combined
with examples of damaged books, correct use of bookends, maybe some
of the equipment used such as hygrothermographs, dataloggers, etc.,
before and after repair examples and so on.  Individual depts in the
library can show it and customize examples to their particular dept.
such as how to tell if a book is brittle (in Acquisitions or Catalog
Depts)

The video is quick, covers the points, and short of making your own
(lots of time and $$) the best that I have found for the type of
training you are talking about.

Also, check out the book "Promoting Preservation Awareness in
Libraries: A Sourcebook for Academic, Public, School, and Special
Collections" published by Greenwood Press, 1997, co-edited by Jeanne
Drewes and myself.  I compiled an appendix "Videos for General
Preservation Education: An Annotated Videography" which has several
pages of video suggestions for different audiences.

Julie Page
Preservation Librarian
UC San Diego

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 22, 1998