Subject: Conservation exhibits

Conservation exhibits

From: Neal Putt <np>
Date: Friday, April 10, 1998
Concerning David Harvey's inquiry on museum visitor interests in
conservation: ICCROM has done at least 2 systematic surveys of
visitors' interests in conservation, once with visitors to the
conservation of an Imperial Roman sculpture from Michelangelo's city
plaza of Rome.  In 1997 we asked for reaction to a tour of
conservation at the ancient city site of Ostia.  If you want
summaries of the results please e-mail me.

You could get an awful lot of responses to your inquiry.  I'd like
to see your results. Several sources which have a  synthesis  on
exhibiting/interpreting conservation to the public are:

    1.  The publication Ours For Keeps?:  A Resource Pack for
        Raising Awareness of Conservation and Collection Care. About
        $50 US? inquire to

            Carol Milner
            Museums and Galleries Commission
            16 Queen Anne's Gate
            London SW1H 9AA
            Fax: +44 171 233 3686
            c.milnar [at] mgcuk__co__uk

    2.  The projects Public et sauvegarde du Patrimoine (The Public
        and Heritage Preservation), and Formation specifique des
        guides de Musees (Special Training for Museum Guides), in
        which 10 European nations experimented with interpreting
        conservation/restoration to the public. The coordinator is

            Catheline Perier-d'Iteren Profeseur
            Universite Libre de Bruxelles, CP175
            Avenue Roosevelt 50, b-1050 Bruxelles
            Fax: +32 2 650 43 49.

    3.  The Getty Conservation Institute conducted an e-mail survey
        similar to the one you have started.

Neal Putt
Coordinator of Preventive Conservation
ICCROM