Subject: VPD papers

VPD papers

From: Jane McCutchen Brown <brownjm>
Date: Monday, April 6, 1998
I have received a query from someone who had some books deacidified
with VPD (vapor phase deacidification) sometime before 1987....  The
covers are cloth and the covers have become slick to the touch. Has
anyone had a similar experience or can someone explain to me what is
happening.  Is the phenomenon due to the VPD treatment or some other
cause.

One idea that has been suggested is the VPD has reacted with the
starch in the cloth or the adhesive between the cloth and the board,
but the owner has not noticed that the cloth is loosening from the
board, so the latter seems improbable.

Charleston generally has a high humidity level, could that be an
issue?

Jane Brown
Charleston, SC

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 7, 1998