Subject: Conservation exhibits

Conservation exhibits

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo>
Date: Saturday, April 4, 1998
This is a response to David Harvey's inquiry on conservation
exhibits:

The De Young Museum in S.F. had an exhibit in the 1980s on the
restoration of the Teotihuacan Murals in which a laboratory was
created in the galleries with walls and windows through which the
public could view the conservators at work.  Outside on the public
side of the exhibit were large didactic panels explaining the
processes involved.  As I recall the exhibit was the result of a
collaboration of the curatorial staff, mainly Kathleen Berrin and
the conservation staff including Elizabeth Cornu and Leslie Bone.
You might contact them for details, I remember it being very popular
with the public.  I also recall that Ms. Berrin published an article
on an earlier conservation exhibit which also brought conservators
into the galleries on a textile project, I think it was in Museum
News, in the 70s but my memory fails me beyond that.

Niccolo Caldararo
Conservation Art Service
S.F.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 7, 1998