Subject: Conservation exhibits

Conservation exhibits

From: David Harvey <dharvey>
Date: Tuesday, March 31, 1998
We are in the beginning stages of formulating a proposal for a
conservation exhibit.  We would be very interested to hear from
members of the list on the following points:

    *   Have any surveys been done of the general public to
        ascertain the extent of their knowledge about conservation
        and conservators?  If so, what did the surveys reveal?

    *   What conservation exhibitions have been done in recent
        years?  Are catalogues available?  What specifically worked
        best in these exhibitions?  What failed?

    *   What is the single most important storyline to communicate
        to the public about conservation?

I appreciate any and all commentary and, for those who are
interested, I will endeavor to keep you appraised of our progress.

David Harvey
Associate Conservator,
Metals & Arms
The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation