Subject: Glue guns

Glue guns

From: Anne Lane <alane>
Date: Friday, March 20, 1998
Two questions: my glue gun, an el cheapo, died recently and I have
borrowed a Sears cordless model from another department pending
purchase of another for ours.  My concern is this--I am using a
rheostatically controlled outlet, and with the old model I used the
lowest heat I could get away with, since I am mostly working with
ethafoam and Volara.  I used a higher heat for the Corrulite
corrugated polyethylene I use to construct boxes and supports.  The
new gun only functions at maximum heat, and it generates fumes
enthusiastically.  I am in a basically airless workroom, with little
venting and almost no air circulation.  I am using the hot melt glue
sold by University Products.  Am I frying my brain?

The other question is, when I do buy a new glue gun, what should I
buy?  The ones I have used so far tend to leak glue around various
orifices, making a sticky mess of their supports, which is why the
cordless one will only work at high enough heat to melt this
deposit.  Anyone have a favorite model to recommend?  Is there a
better mouse trap? Thank you,

Anne T. Lane
Curatorial Assistant
Museum of York County