Subject: Alabaster

Alabaster

From: Pawel Karaszkiewicz <zekarasz>
Date: Saturday, March 21, 1998
I am looking for the experiences concerning the consolidation of
small alabaster sculpture deteriorated by high humidity and salts.
As a result a white powdered gypsum appeared on the surface and the
sculpture itself is weakened by salts solutions penetrating the
alabaster. Application of saturated solution of gypsum cannot help
as the fissures between crystals of alabaster are too large. We know
that solutions of Paraloid were used in such cases. Do you have any
ideas?

Pawel Karaszkiewicz

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 25, 1998