Subject: Questionnaire on exhibition of archives materials

Questionnaire on exhibition of archives materials

From: Marg McIntyre <mcintyre>
Date: Tuesday, March 17, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:   Please respond directly to the
    author

I am a Graduate student in Archival Studies at the University of
Toronto. One of my current research projects is on the display and
exhibition of archival materials and the preservation concerns
involved. While I have done a substantial amount of research on the
recommended standards and general principles for archival exhibits,
I would like to obtain additional information from practitioners.
Consequently, I would appreciate hearing from anyone on the list who
has had experience in this area and would be willing to complete the
questionnaire that follows. Unfortunately, I am working under time
constraints and need to receive all responses by April 28, 1998. All

Questionnaire

1.  What kinds of archival materials do you normally exhibit? Are
    they given any conservation treatment before being put on
    display?

2.  How often do you mount exhibits?

3.  What is the usual duration of the exhibit?

4.  Where do you normally exhibit archival materials? eg. reading
    room, separate gallery. Are the environmental conditions
    monitored?

5.  Lighting: what kind of lighting is used? Are any measures taken
    to lower the level of illumination? If so, what are they?

6.  Do you use facsimiles and/or copies of any materials?

7.  What kinds of display cases do you use? How are the materials
    displayed inside the cases?

8.  Are there any particular preservation concerns/problems that you
    have experienced in mounting an archival exhibit?

Please feel free to add any additional comments.

Marg McIntyre
University of Toronto
Canada

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 19, 1998