Subject: Japanese oiled paper rain clothing

Japanese oiled paper rain clothing

From: Melanie Li Green <s_puffin>
Date: Thursday, March 19, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

I am a MA Paper Conservation student at the Camberwell College of
Arts. Presently I am working on the conservation of a Japanese oiled
paper "raincape". It belongs to the Museum of Archeology and
Anthropology, University of Cambridge.  It dates c.1929 and has a
label attached describing it as a "raincape" but its make up
comprises of sheets of oiled Japanese paper joined/overlapped to
form a rectangular sheet. It has two strings whereby one is to tie
the "garment" to oneself. However, I am having difficulty in finding
out information about the history and manufacture of these objects.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could possibly recommend
any books or articles which mention anything at all about the
history, manufacture or conservation of Japanese oiled papers or
Japanese oiled paper rain clothes?  Any other information about
Japanese oiled papers or Japanese oiled paper clothes would be most
welcome. From what I have already learnt it is suggested that a
number of water-proofing agents could have been used including
Ye-no-abura/ Perilla oil (Celtis Willdenawiana) or Paulownia seed
oil or a paste made from arum root (Konnyaku paste) then over this a
layer of Persimmon extract/juice was pasted or Asami oil.

I have been lucky to receive some information from Hidetoshi Komiya,
Head Curator of the Paper Museum in Tokyo, Japan, but if there is
anyone else that could be recommended for me to contact, please let
me know.

Melanie Li Green
45 Worfield Street
London SW11 4QZ