Subject: Labelling

Labelling

From: Guy De Witte <zilverenpasser>
Date: Friday, March 13, 1998
This is in response to the query of Alice Cannon concerning
labelling of records for a court case.

During one of our projects we had to remove self-adhesive labels
from archival materials and look for a suitable alternative. Since
we did not found any adhesive labels which we thought safe enough
for long-time use on these materials we opted to sew the (small)
labels with a simple stitch, left and right, to the records. It just
needs a few little holes and a piece of thread. It is of course
time-consuming if there is a lot of material to do, but at least it
is safe, reversible and takes little time to undo. I have no idea if
this would solve your problem, but it might give you something to
think about. I would be interested to hear what solution you finally
opted for.

Guy De Witte
De Zilveren Passer Consultancy & Workshop for preservation,
conservation & restoration of paper, archival materials and graphic
art

                  Distributed: Monday, March 16, 1998