Subject: Labelling

Labelling

From: George R. Leake III <taliesin>
Date: Thursday, March 12, 1998
Alice Cannon <artlab [at] senet__com__au> writes

>Originally the records office asked for an archival solution that
>would allow the easy application of the labels, directly onto the
>paper, and their removal once the court case was finished. As any
>label, no matter how archival, would inevitably require time, money
>and expertise to remove we have suggested instead that we come up
>with a relatively permanent archival label that can be applied
>directly to the paper with minimum long-term risk.

I cannot think of any archival solution that wouldn't involve some
combination of time and money. I advocate use of either strings or
long pieces of archival paper as bookmarks so to speak--one end
would stick out and could be barcoded or otherwise labelled--only an
archival string or piece of paper (permalife or equivalent) would
touch the material. There are a number of vendors out there and I'd
be happy to field any questions on sources for materials or offer
further explanation of this simple labelling technique.

George Leake
Conservation Department
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
UT Austin