Subject: Northern India paintings on cotton

Northern India paintings on cotton

From: Cindy Connelly <cindy_cr>
Date: Friday, March 13, 1998
Norbert Wunderle <norbert [at] hpbbmnw__bbn__hp__com>, on behalf of Beate
Kraenzle writes

>    Can anyone provide information or references (e.g. articles or
>    other literature) regarding following very special textile
>    conservation topic:
>        *   so-called PABUJII PARS

Smadar Gabrieli has already mentioned 'Use and Conservation of a
Pajubi Par' by Ernst van de Wetering, ICOM Preprints (1987):219-224.
This article discusses at length the original use and cultural
interpretation of pars.

Three other articles which discuss analyses of the materials of
Indian paintings on cloth and their treatments are:

    "Scientific Investigation of Materials Used in the 14th and 15th
    Century Cloth Paintings", B.N. Tandon, Conservation of Cultural
    Property in India 3 (1968):19-22.

    "Conservation and Technical Studies of a Scroll Painting",
    Swarna Kamal Bhowmik, Museum Bulletin 22 (1970) :1-42. (Museum
    and Picture Gallery, Baroda, India).

    "Conservation and Technical Studies of a Scroll Painting", A.R.
    Shah, Museum Bulletin 27 (1976):35-43. (Museum and Picture
    Gallery, Baroda)

These all discuss smaller paintings than patolas or pars, but the
materials and methods of construction may well be related. The
treatments discussed are 20+ years old, and almost certainly not the
current state of the art! (I've loaned out my copies at the moment,
and can't re-read them; but I don't remember being impressed.)

Cindy Connelly Ryan
Washington, DC

                  Distributed: Monday, March 16, 1998