Subject: Survey on computer use by museum professionals

Survey on computer use by museum professionals

From: Sara Saganace <saganace>
Date: Saturday, March 7, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:   Please respond directly to the
    author

I am an undergrad in Art and Art History at the University of
Saskatchewan. I am interested in finding out the ways in which
museum professionals are using computers, especially in the fields
of conservation and collections management.

My interest and particular research focus are based on the questions
below:

    a.  What  computer hardware are being used? (ie. Mac, PC,
        other?)

    b.  What kinds of software, and which specific applications are
        being used most often? (ie. word processors, databases,
        Photoshop, Photomodeller, etc?)

    c.  What computer technologies are being developed to target
        museum professionals?  What needs are not being met?

    d.  What peripheral devices are being used? (ie. scanners,
        printers, portable storage devices?)

    e.  Are there any reference tools, or CD-ROM's being used in the
        facility, if so which ones?  Would you use them if they were
        available, what kinds?

    f.  Do you use the internet regularly?  For what purpose?  Do
        you see and expanding potential for using the internet,
        e-mail, videoconferencing, virtual exhibits, online
        discussion forums etc.?

    g.  Any other suggestions of multimedia computer tools

I would appreciate this information and anything else you might be
able to think of to help me in my research.  Please e-mail me
(saganace [at] the__link__ca) or fax 306-955-5979) as soon as possible.
Please indicate if you would be interested in seeing the results of
my research.  Thanks so much for your cooperation.

Sara Saganace

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 11, 1998