Subject: Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride

Alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride

From: Cheryl Jackson <cherylj>
Date: Wednesday, March 4, 1998
Can someone tell me the suitability of the disinfectant Alkyl
dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (a quarternary ammonium compound)
for use with paper based materials.  One of its trade names in
Australia is "Focus Disinfectant", and I have seen it on Chemical
databases as Roccal and Arquad B (Lauryl dimethyl benzyl ammonium
chloride).

The Material Safety Data Sheet for Focus Disinfectant describes the
product as a 0.5% solution with a pH of 6.5-7-5, a clear, coloured
and perfumed liquid. It is used as a germicide and fungicide.

One of the commercial salvage companies here uses it in the cleaning
and disinfecting process for flood/mud damaged records, and I have
received a query about its suitability, ie any long term effects for
the records.

Cheryl Jackson
Preservation Manager
National Archives of Australia