Subject: Antique engines available

Antique engines available

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch>
Date: Tuesday, March 3, 1998
I was informed by a colleague at a transportation museum that there
are two 1931 Fairbanks-Morse 5-cycle marine-type engines in a yard
in the Twin Cities that are free for the asking.  They are model #
FM-37D16. At least one is in nearly new, working condition.  They
each weigh 90,000 pounds.

If anyone is interested, or knows of someone who is, I can put you
in further contact with individuals who have more information about
the engines.  If anyone has contact with a list on the Web that is
more apropos for this sort of announcement, feel free to post it
there.  I was told that time is of the essence, since if the person
who is looking after these things cannot move them soon (i.e. a few
months) or at least get a serious inquiry, they will be cut up for
scrap.

    **** Moderator's comments:   Paul added

    They could be used for didactic treatment objects for testing
    new treatment protocols and methods; or they could be salvaged
    for spare parts for a conservation/restoration program in
    progress.

Paul S. Storch
Objects Conservator
John and Martha Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (JMD-OCL)
B-109.1, Minnesota History Center
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
612-297-5774