Subject: Binding machine

Binding machine

From: Jane Subramanian <subramjm>
Date: Thursday, February 26, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:   Please respond directly to
    the author or dresyes [at] potsdam__edu

I am forwarding this to the consdist list for someone on our staff
who is not on the list. The 810 Binding System referred to is a
Togic brand.

    From: Sue Dresye <dresyesl [at] potsdam__edu>

    We're currently using what we fondly call the "post-pam" machine
    on our periodicals volumes which require less-than-permanent
    binding (limited retention, tabloid format, etc.). We're a
    medium-sized academic library with approximately 1300-1400
    current subscriptions (at least 20% are "post pammed" in
    cardboard hinged covers).

    Due to some concerns about unexplained noises, etc. that the
    machinery is currently making (and the age of the machine
    itself), I've begun looking into a replacement and/or
    alternative ways of doing the in-house binding.

    Other than the "drill/tack/cut/heat/mold" method used by the 810
    Binding System, has anyone out there had experience with any
    other methods?  In particular the Thermal Binding System
    advertised by Brodart?

    Sue Dresye
    Library Clerk
    Crumb Library