Subject: Cleaning anodized aluminum

Cleaning anodized aluminum

From: Jill Addleson <jilla>
Date: Friday, February 20, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as well

The Durban Art Gallery requests metal conservators who are working
in Metal Conservation Departments to please write to me with advice
regarding the cleaning of an anodized aluminum sculpture in the
permanent collection of the Durban Art Gallery.  Structurally the
work is in excellent condition. However due to touching by members
of the public, the surface is now blotchy and stained.

Our philosophy in conserving the works in the permanent collection
of the Durban Art Gallery is to use methods of conservation which
are reversible and cleaning substances which are not harmful in the
long term.

Jill Addleson
Curator of Collections
Durban Art Gallery