Subject: Cemeteries

Cemeteries

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <rduncan>
Date: Friday, February 20, 1998
I received this query from someone who is not on the list. A
personal note:  this is a big issue--well-meaning volunteers are
"restoring" pioneer grave sites throughout our state without any
guidelines.  Is there anyone on the list who has had experience in
drawing up guidelines for such projects?  I have contacted SOS! but
have had no response from their membership.

    From:  Scott Satterthwaite <ssattert [at] citznet__com>

    Can you put me in touch with a preservation expert?  I need to
    settle a dispute about using sealers and water barriers on grave
    stones.  I say don't do it.  Another person says it is just
    fine.  This same person advocates the use of acids for cleaning
    grave stones.

    What are some of the common materials that have been used for
    grave monuments?  How can the lay person distinguish the various
    materials with a degree of certainty?

    Is there a difference in the type of joining/bonding compounds
    that should be used for repairing different natural materials?
    Man-made materials?

    Many monuments, especially older columns, used vertical pins to
    maintain alignment and stability.  When it becomes necessary to
    replace such pins, what type of materials should be used?  Are
    the better choices of pin materials for different monument
    materials?

    Many monuments will break clean, not leaving enough natural
    texture to properly re-align the pieces.  In this situation is
    there a safe method of inserting an alignment pin(s) to
    reassemble the monument?

    Ice and the forces of nature can cause vertical fractures.  Can
    the fractures be bound by some method?

    Are there any good protective coating that can be safely applied
    to monuments to help protect them from the elements?

    Scott Satterthwaite
    Indiana Pioneer Cemeteries Restoration Project State Coordinator
    <URL:http://www.citznet.com/~ssattert/inpcrp/>

Ramona Duncan-Huse

                Distributed: Tuesday, February 24, 1998