Subject: UVC radiation and mold

UVC radiation and mold

From: Andrea Rolich <arolich>
Date: Friday, February 20, 1998
Our library receives quite a number of books from South and
Southeast Asia.  Virtually all smell of mold and insecticides, which
cause a variety of reactions in staff who must process the
materials.

It has been suggested that we might rid the books of mold by
exposing them to UVC emitters, which employ C band ultraviolet short
wave energy to kill molds (including spores), bacteria, and other
microbes in about 3 seconds.

I'm told that this technology produces no ozone, no gases or fumes,
and will not harm equipment, furnishings, or humans (who are,
however, advised to wear safety goggles to avoid conjunctivitis-like
reactions to UVC).

UVC emitters have been used in hospitals, dairies, meat processing
plants, and other sites concerned with microbiological
contamination.  However, I've found no reference to UVC applications
to decontaminate books.

Has anyone heard of or experimented with this technology?  Any
opinions as to whether its effect on paper, cloths, etc., would be
more or less deleterious than the action of the molds and other
biological agents?

Andrea Rolich
University of Wisconsin-Madison
B106d Memorial Library