Subject: Aerolam and museum cases

Aerolam and museum cases

From: Andrew Calver <andy>
Date: Monday, February 23, 1998
Has anyone any information on the suitability of Aerolam as a
conservation grade material for use in well sealed showcases. I am
looking for an alternative to MDF (medium density fibreboard) and
other such materials for the construction of the non glazed panels
of display cases and to provide a fabric covered case insert that can
be securely fixed to in a similar manner to MDF. A material that has
sprung to mind is a material such as Aerolam, a honeycomb aluminium
structure between 2 layers of polyester fabric coated with epoxy.
This material is relatively expensive but if it is safe to use in
case construction removing the need for barrier foils and coatings
etc. it may be cost effective. I am aware that is commonly used as a
backing for mosaics etc. but I would be interested if anyone has
carried any material testing on this or similar products. I am also
interested in communicating directly with anyone looking to solve
similar problems.

Andrew Calver
Museum Conservator

                Distributed: Tuesday, February 24, 1998