Subject: Unrolling a leather scroll

Unrolling a leather scroll

From: Martin Jaffee <jaffee>
Date: Tuesday, February 17, 1998
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as well

Members of the Orion Dead Sea Scrolls list suggested that I contact
this list for assistance. I have what appears to be a 19th century
scroll of the book of Esther written on leather. The scroll is in
good shape, except that the very first sheet is wrapped around the
winding shaft and is apparently stuck to it, making it currently
impossible for fully unroll. I'm told that members of this group
might have good advice as to how to unroll the scroll without
damaging the writing. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks so
much,

Martin S. Jaffee
Prof. & Chair, Comparative Religion
Prof., Jewish Studies