Subject: Collections management and documentation system

Collections management and documentation system

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Wednesday, February 18, 1998
We are currently shopping for a collections management and
documentation system. My particular interest is in making sure that
the conservation component is useful and simple.  The new system
should make it easy to record, track, sort, and exchange information
on condition, treatment recommendations and treatment reports,
exhibition history, and recommendations on housing, display and
travel.  I hope that whatever system we design or buy will
streamline our tasks and improve the way we communicate with
other museum departments, rather than making us long for the days of
paper and pencil.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who
has adopted a system which they are pleased with, anyone who has a
less positive "learning experience" to share, or anyone who can
recommend people to talk to and systems to look at.

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture
1920 Baile Street