Subject: Source for AnalR metal foil

Source for AnalR metal foil

From: Karen Potje <kpotje>
Date: Thursday, February 19, 1998
We plan to carry out the Oddy test on materials that we hope to use for
showcase construction.  We would like to follow the recommended standard
procedure for the test as described by Lorna Green and David Thickett in
"Testing Materials for Use in the Storage and Display of Antiquities - a
Revised Methodology", Studies in Conservation 40 1995-145-152.  In the
interests of ensuring that corrosion levels of the metal coupons can be
compared from test to test and institution to institution, they recommend
using AnalR grade (>99.5%) copper, lead and silver foil.  Can anyone tell me
what North American companies supply AnalR grade metal?

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture
1920 Baile Street