Subject: Works on Paper in the Tropics

Works on Paper in the Tropics

From: Jed Bark <jbark>
Date: Tuesday, February 10, 1998
We have been contacted by a collector who keeps a number of
contemporary prints in his home in the Caribbean. The prints are
framed with Art-Sorb sheets behind the backmat and backed with a
sheet of Mylar. Some have expanded a great deal, becoming very wavy,
and some show evidence of mold growth. He plans to bring the works
back to the Northeastern US this Spring. We told him to bring them
to a paper conservator for treatment, but couldn't give him a
confident recommendation for re-framing them. We'd appreciate advice
which we could pass on to the collector. More Art-Sorb? Acclimate
materials (what would be ideal temperature and humidity?) and then
seal the frames? We recognize the difficulty of achieving a good
seal, and have considered sealed environments to pose risks of their
own.

                Distributed: Thursday, February 12, 1998