Subject: Inoculations

Inoculations

From: Phil Parkes <parkes>
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 1998
As an addition to replies about the importance of tetanus injections
and keeping up to date with boosters, I would like to pass on
information provided by The University of Wales, Cardiff Health and
Safety Unit.

As an archaeological conservator I often work with waterlogged
material, much of which is from the nearby Severn Levels into which
there are numerous sewage outflows.

The Health and Safety Unit recommends that anyone (staff or
students) coming into contact with earth, sludge, sewage, ditches,
ponds, slow-flowing rivers and drains should have the following
vaccinations:

Hepatitis "A/B" vaccine, anti-tetanus vaccine, polio drops, typhoid
vaccine and information on Letospirosis (Weils Disease).

The cost of these vaccinations is borne by the university.

I know this may not be applicable to art collections, but is worth
bearing in mind for many general collections.

Phil Parkes
Conservator
School of History and Archaeology
University of Wales, Cardiff
PO Box 909
Cardiff CF1 3XU
+44 1222 874000 ext 5628
Fax: +44 1222 874929

                Distributed: Thursday, February 12, 1998