Subject: Conference on 20th century art

Conference on 20th century art

From: Tracy Bartley <tbartley>
Date: Tuesday, February 10, 1998
Mortality Immortality?
The Legacy of 20th Century Art
25 - 27 March, 1998
Los Angeles,  California

Today's artists are creating a legacy of our century with works that
are traditional, mixed media, ephemeral, repeatable, and disposable.
Artists incorporate paint, polyethylene, paper, cloth, and
photographs into their work, challenging the boundaries of materials
through the creative process.

Will the work produced by contemporary artists be around for future
generations to understand and appreciate? Do we have an obligation
to the future to provide a comprehensive record of 20th century art?
In March 1998, the Getty Conservation Institute will convene a
conference to explore issues surrounding the preservation of
contemporary art.

"Mortality Immortality? The Legacy of 20th Century Art", to be held
at the Getty Center in Los Angeles, California, will bring together
artists, directors, curators, conservators, historians, educators,
students, dealers, collectors, archivists, philosophers, lawyers,
and scientists, to discuss and debate the preservation issues
surrounding contemporary art.  Philosophical, ethical, art
historical, and technological questions, with the overlying economic
factors, will be confronted and the inherent difficulties
illuminated.  The conference will offer a forum to improve
understanding of the problems associated with the preservation of
contemporary art--from the treatment and handling of traditional
works to the difficulties posed by an aesthetic that is expressed
through the use of new materials and technology. As the 20th century
becomes history, as opposed to the time in which we live, the moment
is right to assess what our cultural legacy will be--and how it will
survive.

For registration information please contact:

    Tracy Bartley
    The Getty Conservation Institute
    1200 Getty Center Drive  #700
    Los Angeles, California