Subject: Source for horn

Source for horn

From: J. Claire Dean <clairedean>
Date: Saturday, February 7, 1998
Mark Vine wrote in search of a source for transparent horn.  Back
home in the Lake District there used to be a horn works in Kendal
called Abbey Horn of Kendal Ltd.  They were established in 1749 and
were still in operation until a few years ago. Then they either
closed down or moved to another Lakeland location.  I recall still
seeing their products (buttons, spoons, decorative pieces, etc.) for
sale locally on my last visit home just over a year ago. Although I
am familiar with them through their goods, I know that they used to
process their own raw materials so they could be a source for your
needs. The last address I have for them was a shop in
Bowness-on-Windermere where you could buy their stuff, it was

    The Horn Shop
    3 Crag Brow
    Bowness-on-Windermere
    Windermere 4519.

This address is on an old card enclosed in a box that a horn spoon
came in which I bought at least 12 years ago.  The phone number will
have changed radically so I suggest you call directory inquires and
check under the shop name (above) and the company name (Abbey Horn
of Kendal).  Please let me know if you track them down - their
buttons look great on heavy sweaters and I have used up the few I
had left.

J. Claire Dean
Dean & Associates Conservation Services
3438 NE 62nd Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97213
503-331-1972
Fax: 503-331-0762

                 Distributed: Monday, February 9, 1998