Subject: Source for horn

Source for horn

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Tuesday, February 3, 1998
Can anyone suggest where one might obtain some transparent horn or a
suitable transparent, synthetic, alternative? I have been contacted
by a conservator currently engaged in a major restoration project
involving two quite unique pedestals which contain bull marquetry
(my apologies for any errors in terminology, this is new area to
me).

Apparently the restoration requires quite a bit of filling in and
because the work will also involve underpainting (in blue) a
transparent grade horn really is essential.

The conservation team have experimented with a slightly yellow cast
horn but after underpainting what was blue appeared green.

There is apparently a process which involves steaming the horn and
then beating it vigorously to make it transparent but the team
leader tells me he has no facilities to try this out.

Mark G. Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd
England
+44 1865 747755