Subject: Removal of crayon markings

Removal of crayon markings

From: Margaret Holben Ellis <ellism>
Date: Monday, February 2, 1998
Regarding the inquiry about surface cleaning of paper and the
removal of wax crayon markings, I would caution Steven Silberg that
the two processes are not compatible.  It's been my experience that
crayon marks cannot be removed mechanically, i.e., through erasing.
Typically such marks are reduced with hydrocarbons, but don't forget
that in wax crayons oil soluble dyes are used, which can cause
problems with bleeding of the colorant. Also, if the crayon marks
are on a modern paper containing optical brighteners and/or dyes,
the solvent can cause damage to the paper.  As anyone who has tried
to remove candle wax from paper can attest, it's not easy.  Adding
dyes, just complicates the process!

Margaret Holben Ellis
Conservation Center
Institute of Fine Arts