Subject: Conservation of tiered collections

Conservation of tiered collections

From: Heather Dumka <hdumka>
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 1998
Our museum is planning "tier" its collections.  Collections will be
divided into tiers or levels which will reflect the different levels
of access and use that will be permitted.  I would be interested in
hearing from anyone who has worked with the care of tiered
collections.  I am particularly interested in how conservation is
provided for objects which are in the higher access tiers. For
example, who repairs/cleans, etc. objects which are designated as
high access or touchable, and what kind (if any) treatment records
are kept for this material?

Heather Dumka
Glenbow Museum
130 - 9th Avenue SE