Subject: Plaster adhesive

Plaster adhesive

From: Margot McKay Wright <ant011>
Date: Wednesday, January 28, 1998
We have in our collection a number of calcite and alabaster bowls
from Egypt.  They have been reconstructed using a white insoluble
adhesive which, when tested, gave positives for sulphate and
protein--a casein plaster? The repairs are unsightly and the
adhesive has been smeared over the surface of the bowls. Does anyone
know of a way of reversing this medium?  I think that the repairs
were carried out at some time in the last century.

Margot M Wright
Marischal Museum, Marischal College
University of Aberdeen,
Broad Street, Aberdeen AB10 1YS, Scotland
+44 1224 274300 (Conservation Laboratory)
+44 1224 274301 (Museum and answerphone)
Fax: +44 1224 645519

                 Distributed: Friday, January 30, 1998