Subject: Wax moth

Wax moth

From: Will Phippen <will_phippen>
Date: Thursday, January 29, 1998
On the wax moth problem: Beekeepers know these pests well. They can
destroy large amounts of honeycomb stored in the dark hives in a
short time. Bees control them in healthy hives.

They are true moths that tend to infest thin layers of beeswax (like
combs) and not to damage thicker layers and blocks of wax. It's also
believed that they do not infest pure wax as readily as old wax
which has honey, pollen and other residues mixed in. The larvae
burrow to feed and pupate leaving a very foul mess.

Freezing controls them as well as keeping the wax exposed to light
and air. Mothballs do repel them. I have tried cleaning infested wax
to recycle into honey comb foundation for my hives. It works well
with a limited infestation. Melting and filtering certainly kills
the moths and eggs, but you will never get a very good product if
the infestation has been extensive.

                 Distributed: Friday, January 30, 1998