Subject: Warped phonograph records

Warped phonograph records

From: Warwick Peberdy <warwickp>
Date: Tuesday, January 27, 1998
Has anyone had any experience with flattening vinyl record albums?

On 13 Jan 98 Lynn Campbell Lynn Campbell <campbelll [at] ccc__govt__nz>
asked about warped phonograph records.

Reminded me of the last gramophone recording I brought about 8 or 9
years ago, which was "The Gypsy Kings" album when they were all the
rage in Australia. I put it on the back seat of the car and when I
got home, about 30 minutes later, it had formed around the curve of
the seat and was unplayable. I put it under a sheet of glass in the
sun for about 10 to 15 minutes which removed most of the warp.

This method is described in "The Preservation and Restoration of
Sound Recordings" by Jerry McWilliams (1979). It suggests: cleaning
the record; placing it between two sheets of clean and perfectly
flat plate glass; heating to about 135 degs. F; leave at this heat
for 10 minutes; remove heat and place some heavy books on top of the
glass for 24 hours. If the warp is not removed then not enough heat
has been applied. Heat should not exceed 150 degs. F as damage may
occur. Hope this is of some help,

Warwick Peberdy
Preservation Services
Australian Archives, Victoria